How to Take Care of Your Lips during Winter
Luscious, supple lips are something most women desire. But when it’s bitterly cold outside and overly dry inside, how is a gal supposed to maintain beautiful lips? It takes a bit of extra effort in the winter, but hydrated, smooth lips are attainable even in the coldest winter months. Today we’re sharing how to take care of your lips during winter to keep them sweet, sassy and smoochable!
Lips get cracked and chapped during the winter – or any time of year for that matter – for several reasons. As the weather becomes colder, moisture gets sucked out of the air and the wind can be abrasive to the very thin, sensitive skin on your lips. Most people have the heat on indoors during the winter, which creates dry air inside as well. You just can’t escape it! Additionally, many people use chemical-based lip balm or lick their lips to combat dryness, which both contribute to dehydration. And if all of this isn’t bad enough, the natural aging process can cause lips to crack and chap as well.
Protect your lips in the winter and year-round with these tips:
- Keep lips moisturized at all times, even at night, with a natural lip balm. Beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, petroleum jelly, aloe vera and jojoba oil are all great natural ingredients for your lips.
- Drink plenty of water. Moisturization occurs from the inside out just as much as the other way around. Drink your 8 glasses a day for plumper lips.
- Don’t lick your lips. While you think you may be helping them, it actually dries them out much more than you think.
- Wear SPF sunscreen on your lips. Even the winter sun can cause damage to your lips.
- Stop smoking. Nicotine, combined with the heat source touching your lips, is a terrible combination. Besides, smoking is bad for your entire body in every way.
- Stay out of the sun and wind whenever possible. Your lips and all of your skin will thank you.
- Use a humidifier in your home to add moisture back into the air.
Also, try these natural remedies for combating dry lips:
- Press your lips against a used green tea bag for 5 minutes a day. The extreme antioxidants will seep into your thin lip skin and hydrate them.
- Rub honey, butter or any type of natural oil over your lips. Let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Create an exfoliant with raw sugar and olive oil. Scrub lips for 2-3 minutes and then wash off the solution. This will help rid your lips of dry, dead skin and allow newer, fresher skin cells to rise to the surface.
- Use natural age-defying foods like lemons and cucumbers on your lips too. Crush them and use the juice as a lip solvent for about 15 minutes a day for best results.
Silky, lush, kissable lips are attainable even in the winter with these tips for how to care for your lips!