How to Eat More Vegetables
“Eat your vegetables” is something you’ve probably heard all of your life. Veggies are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and other phyto-nutrients that really improve your operating system. If you struggle to get your three to five servings of veggies a day, we’re giving you tips on how to eat more vegetables.
Replace Carbohydrates with Vegetables
Yes, you can convert recipes for your favorite carbs – including bread, pasta and potatoes – into veggie dishes instead. Brilliant! Here are some ideas:
- Use a sheet of lettuce to make a sandwich wrap instead of bread or tortillas
- Shred squash and zucchini into long, thin pieces and sauté them as a replacement for noodles
- Puree cauliflower or a variety of squash to make a mashed potato substitute
- Dip raw veggies in hummus, spinach or queso dips rather than crackers or pita
- Make veggie dough for breads and pizza
- Skip the rice in your sushi and add in another vegetable
- Substitute sweet potato, squash or zucchini slices to make crust for quiche
- Crisp kale or Brussels sprouts to top salads rather than croutons
Slip Vegetables into other Concoctions
Veggies are easy to hide in many delicious recipes. This is especially helpful when you’re trying to sneak in vegetables so your kids won’t notice them. You can puree the vegetables before adding them or simply chop them finely so they are hard to identify. Try these favorites with veggies added:
- Spaghetti sauce
- Sloppy Joes
- Stews & Soups
- Mac n Cheese
- Scrambled Eggs
Other Ideas to Eat More Vegetables
Need more inspiration? Here are additional ideas on how to eat more vegetables:
- Use avocado or bean puree as a moisturizing spread rather than mayo
- Crust your bread with a veggie – cauliflower works great here
- Add vegetables to other side dishes like rice pilaf, risotto and pasta salads
- Fry your vegetables, but use a healthy, all-natural oil
- Eat veggies for breakfast – straight up or mixed in a breakfast food, get one serving in to kickstart your day.
- Veggie Burger – enough said!
- Add vegetables to your power smoothie.
- Fill half your plate with vegetables at lunch and dinner.
- If you don’t like the flavor of vegetables, spice up your veggies with flavors you do like.
- Scoop out a vegetable and use it as a bowl, such as a large mushroom or a bell pepper. Be sure to eat the bowl too!
- Change the texture of vegetables to make them more palatable. For instance, you can shave asparagus, Brussels sprouts and kale so they are less dense.
- Top your salads with flavors you love like grilled chicken, nuts or cranberries
Enjoy your veggies with these ideas on how to eat more vegetables!
The post How to Eat More Vegetables appeared first on Leading Lady.